Friday, June 20, 2008

Got bugs, anyone?

I've always been a little interested in natural medicine. I don't know much, but it's intriguing. That said, I get really intimidated at health food stores because there is so much variety in natural remedies. Plus, the stuff isn't regulated, so it's a free-for-all in a way. Still, you always hear testimonials about this herb or that vitamin. I know there's something to it, it's just hard to figure it all out.

Since I've been taking these horse pill antibiotics for my mastitis, I decided to look into some probiotics to counteract the side effects of taking powerful bug killers. The pharmacist got me all worried when he suggested eating at least a yogurt a day to prevent stomach upset. I hate being sick to my stomach in any fashion, so I drove to Wild Oats last week and bought some acidophilus pills. Good decision. I've been totally fine during this whole round with antibiotics. No tummyaches (well, just one in the very beginning), no thrush. Success! I highly recommend acidophilus if you ever find yourself on powerful antibiotics. Just thought I'd share. They probably sell it it at pharmacies nearby, but I think you have to ask for it since it has to be refrigerated.

Go bugs!

1 Talk to me!:

Mindy said...

They also have a variety that is a powder that you can mix into babies bottles. it's like baby pro-biotics. It is philodophilis, but helps babies who have digestive tract problems. When we were dealing with Carter's reflux issues, this was suggested to us... It was something I never even imagined was out there... Anyway, that's what came to mind when I read your post.