Sunday, July 13, 2008

Where's the beef?

Let's say you're a vegetarian. You are invited to a BBQ at a friend's house. They know you are a vegetarian. Do you expect them to provide veggie burgers or some other meat alternative? When you arrive at said BBQ and they have not gotten you any veggie burgers (they forgot), do you then expect the hostess to leave the party, drive to the store, and buy veggie patties just for you?

If you are the hostess of a BBQ and you know that one of your guests is a vegetarian, do you make special preparations? Is this expected since you are the one putting on the party?

Just wondering. I don't think I know any vegetarians personally, and this happened this weekend at a family BBQ, so I was just curious what the protocol would be. Nothing against vegetarians at all - I think it's probably a pretty healthy lifestyle if you can make it work. Me? I'd be making ketchup and mustard sandwiches and filling up on veggies and dip rather than make my hostess make a special trip for me. I don't think Becky minded running to the store - but something felt a little odd about it.

1 Talk to me!:

The Mom said...

No, I don't think the hostess should have to leave and buy something special. I think the vegetarian should have eaten other things, or brought her own veggie burger. I don't like a lot of things, but I am really good at picking things out or just not eating them. I don't expect people to cater to all my quirks.