I've made myself a little nest on the front room couch and have been reading a lot lately (just killing time!). I love it! I miss reading. I don't do enough of it.
I'm always slightly hesitant to recommend certain books because I think my "tolerance" with novels is just slightly more liberal than maybe others' might be. Not that I seek out trashy stuff, I swear! Anywho, I've really enjoyed these last two books.
First I read A Thousand Spledid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (the Kite Runner author). I loved it. I think it is an important book, if sad and scary in parts. It's about two women in modern Afghanistan and how their lives are intertwined. It's a good history lesson, too. I hate the Taliban. Also, once again, it strikes me how incredibly blessed we are to live in America, especially us women. One of the characters (sorry to spoil anything) had to have a C-section without anesthesia because the Taliban shut women out of hospitals. Just an example of what how their world is sooooo far removed from ours.

Next I read (well, am reading) The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. I took it with me to the hospital last week to my NST, and the nurse was all "That's a good book!" It is. It's about Dinah, daugher of Leah and Jacob from Genesis. It's another historical fiction piece. I think historical fiction is my favorite. I can't handle straight history ever, but I like to learn about the world through a good story. Anyway, the term "red tent" refers to the tent to which all the women in Jacob's family seclude themselves during "that time of the month". The author is pretty free with discussing menstruation, childbirth, sex, and the like, so be forewarned. The story is excellent. It makes you see bible characters as real human beings. I'm not sure I like her portrayal of Jacob, but he's not the main focus really.
So I'm in need of another book to read. Any suggestions?
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Reading
Scribbled by Kelly at 4:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 Talk to me!:
2 days to go! I hope you are in labor right now :)
I find myself checking this almost daily, I'm so excited for you guys! Although your reminders of how uncomfortable it is at the end are already getting me nervous!
I'm always looking for a good read. Thanks for the recomendations. I actually tried to check out the first one today(the title is totally escaping me right now), but it was checked out
:( I put it on hold. Hope you've got a good book to read to keep you busy while you're in the hospital waiting to have your baby!
Post a Comment