Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Some personal thoughts (you are warned)

I probably shouldn't write a post at 11:30 pm, but oh well. (On a side note, why oh WHY do I insist on staying up until at least midnight each night? It's like some form of rebellion or something. My brain knows I should go to bed, that I love sleep, that 7:00 is going to come around all too quickly, and yet, I fight that voice in my head telling me to go to BED!)


I recently re-discovered this blog. I love the way this woman writes - I wish I could form such beautiful prose. I feel like I've always been able to write, but not eloquently like she does. I can write technically, but when I have something powerful to say, it comes out so different than it exists in my brain.... Anyway, a few months ago, the author wrote this post, which nearly had me in tears because I get it. It's a powerful thing to make a connection with someone, even if only virtually. The human experience (well, in this case, the nursing mother experience) can be so universal.

Breastfeeding has been a big part of my life for nearly 15-months. I had no idea before Meredith came along that nursing wasn't anything more than simply a means to an end. To me, it is so much more than a method of nutrient delivery. I feel very blessed and grateful to have had this unique connection with my child for this long, especially considering our rocky start, when I literally felt the world was going to end because my baby would not latch. You can read about that here. (I also feel to insert a disclaimer here - this post is simply about how I feel, and is not meant to convey any kind of judgement about others' choices/abilities to breastfeed. We each make our own decisions about what's best for us and our families! This post is simply to share some thoughts about my own experience.)

Yes, I'm still nursing currently, and there are no plans for weaning in the near future. This is partly due to the fact that I don't quite yet know how (especially with regards to getting Meredith to sleep), but mostly because I'm so attached to it, as is my baby. I know the day will come, probably all too soon, when I will know it's time to stop, like CJane did, and I know I will be sad. Would that babies could just stay babies forever.

1 Talk to me!:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

With my first I felt pressure to wean at one year, so I started the transition and lo and behold it was so easy and I think that was because he was ready. My second I figured I would do the same thing around one year because it worked so well before. He didn't quite transition so easy and I felt incredible guilt. After a while he was fine. My third I had to wean at 6 months because I was not producing enough milk. With each weaning process I felt incredibly emotional and I don't know why. Perhaps it was because I knew that now my child did not "need" me as much or maybe I felt a bit guilty, especially with the third because it wasn't as long as I thought she needed it. Anyway, the reason for this long comment is to just tell you that each situation is different, even from the same mom, and I think it's great that you can continue and feel proud of what you are doing.