Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Some thoughts....

I recently discovered this blog. I'm having really conflicted feelings about it. On the one hand, her writing is hilarious, and I SO appreciate good writing, especially writing that makes me laugh. She has wonderful insights into pregnancy and childbirth, breastfeeding, parenting, photography, life, etc, all of which appeal to me. The problem? She's a disaffected Mormon (she calls herself a "recovering" Mormon, ha ha ha), and she's pretty sarcastic about it. It's not that I every blog I read needs to be written by someone with my same views both religious and otherwise, but it stings to read some of the negative comments she has about the Church. and it's not like every post she writes is Mormon bashing in nature. That's not the point of her blog. It's just her backstory. Still.... Like I have time to be discovering new blogs. AHHH!!

Which leads me to talk about where all my time is going these days. Besides the usual everyday SAHM stuff, I have SO MANY PICTURES TO EDIT! Don't let my capitalization fool you - I love editing pictures! I am so happy sitting in front of the computer with Pandora and Photoshop open, editing away. My problem is that I have a serious inability to STOP! Also, though I'm not much of a perfectionist in many areas of my life (come look at my house), the perfectionist in me does come out in picture editing. I must remind myself that not every picture I take needs to be "fixed", and not every picture needs to be edited 10 different ways (darn those Photoshop actions!). I'm happy, though, to say that I am 95% done with Jon and May's engagement photos. We ended up taking more the other night because I wanted to try some more silhouette shots, so that set me back a tiny bit more. My goal is to give them a final CD this weekend. Then, Kattie, I promise I will get to yours! We also took several drives this weekend up the canyons (Big Cottonwood, then the Alpine Loop), so I have gobs of Meredith pictures to play with. Love it.

*insert creative segue here*

This Universal Healthcare bill scares me. Is our Healthcare messed up? Yes. Reform is needed. But this bill that is in play right now? It's so wrong! I'm just not good at writing about politics. I'm not even good at talking about them. I don't want to start a debate. I stink at debating. So if you want to leave me a comment with an opposing point of view, that's fine, but I probably won't respond.

Here's my main issues with this plan. 1.) Universal Healthcare would provide healthcare to an additional 50 million (or so) Americans. Great! But who is going to treat these people? Does the bill provide for any measures to increase the number of doctors? No. So there is going to be an influx of people seeking care which will create a shortage of doctors available to provide it. Which means you won't be able to get to a doctor as easily. You can see how this will cascade into bigger problems. 2.) Premiums are going to go way up. Sure you can keep your current insurance, if you or your employer can afford it. Lots of businesses will not be able to afford the increase because it will entail massive new taxes, so they will have to drop insurance coverage all together, which means you'll have to get on the public plan. A government plan. This is their goal! To put everyone one a government plan so that they can control you. We know how fun it is to deal with the government on anything (think taxes, DMV, oh, and FEMA!). Red tape, red tape, red tape.

There are plenty of other people who can more effectively communicate about this issue than I ever could. This blog is written by a friend of mine from high school. He references the actual text of the bill. Scary stuff. Also, I mentioned this on facebook a little while ago, but you can go here and sign a petition advocating against Universal Healthcare. The petition isn't directed at Obama, but at those blue-dog Senators who have the power to stop this atrocity. This article is excellent in discussing more positive, workable means of reform, and finally, this article, entitled "Perils of Obamacare: The Three Big Lies" is worth reading.

Does anyone else think it's incredibly ironic that all these liberals who are so pro-CHOICE when it comes to abortion want to take so many of our choices away? Isn't the pro-choice argument that it's a woman's body and she should be able to do what she wants with it? Well, shouldn't we be able to do what we want with our bodies when it comes to our healthcare? Like choosing our doctors, being able to get the treatment we need when we need it, etc?

Okay, enough politics. I'm getting a little hot-headed.

3 Talk to me!:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I used to follow Dooce a long time ago, but like you I hated the negativity and language. I guess there are so many other blogs out there, I forgot that I even missed it at times. She is funny and I do like a lot of her stuff, but she also makes me very defensive about the church when she does write about it. I get agitated. Anyway, that's about her.
Secondly, don't feel rushed about doing our photos in August if you don't want to. I know you are way busy- in fact you can just take ours but you don't have to edit them, because I'm not that picky. :) Ahhhh, Universal Healthcare is just one more step to Socialism (or communism- take your pick). I am truly scared. I hate where this country is going. I hope all those stupid young 18 year olds who saw Obama as a hip new young president (and who voted for him as a novelty) will regret their decision when they are run by the government in all aspects of their lives.

nicole said...

Thanks for introducing me to the new blog - I think she's hilarious. And who is this friend from high school who's doing the second blog you mentioned?

The Red Shoe Pope said...

Okay, Dooce is hilarious! Thanks for that!

And you write really well too. Like, really well. Your blog is fun to read, so thanks again!