Saturday, November 8, 2008

Weird...

Last night I was laying awake in bed, listening to the dog door open and close (it's mechanical). This is not an unusual occurence... Apollo is always up and about at all hours of the night. Suddenly I realized that the dog was in fact snoring in the corner of our bedroom, so the door was opening on its own, presumably.

I woke Jeremy up, and he went downstairs to check it out. He turned the door off in case it was some kind of internal motor problem. He came back to bed, but then started worrying about whether or not the fence gate was locked. He went out to lock the gate.

This morning, we noticed that our BBQ grill was not in it's usual place. Someone had moved it to the edge of the patio. I say someone instead of something because it's way too heavy to be moved by wind. The dog wouldn't have moved it, either. Also, the doghouse was moved away from the house.

Weird.

The dog door has a magnetic sensor, which is how it operates. Apollo wears a little magnet on his collar, which is how he gets in an out. The door is sensitive to metal and to electronics - i.e. if you move your cell phone by the sensor, the door opens.

Ten bucks says someone was trying to steal our grill in the dark of the night. They may have had a cell phone or other electronic device on their person which set off the door. This probably startled them and they fled.

I can't think of any other explanation. I wouldn't be surprised . . . I don't generally feel unsafe in our neighborhood, but our friends and neighbors had their car stolen out of their closed garage in broad daylight, afterall.....

Kinda creepy.

9 Talk to me!:

Jonathan and Janessa said...

wow, that is kind of creepy. I'd notifiy the cops just in case so they can keep a look out. Maybe install a motion sensor light if you don't have one.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Have you ever had the cravin' for a late night barbecue? No? Er... me either... uh... daggone doggie door!

Kelly said...

Hey Frank - maybe Anderson Cooper was trying to steal our grill!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

My word! He's everywhere!

foreveryoung said...

Ahhh, that is freaky! Now what is your trusty guard dog doing sleeping on the job??

Tia said...

I just got the chills! I hope no one robs you. Or any of us for that matter. Dang crooks.

Janessa said...

Yikes! That is creepy. Good thing you have that dog door and it went off. I think you should notifyl the cops...just in case. Especially since your neighbors had their car stolen. How did that happen?

Angie said...

That is strange and creepy! I don't like hearing stories like that in our neighborhood.

Mindy said...

Maybe Willy and his dog could offer you their protection... he will stick up for anyone in the neighborhood who has been broken into or otherwise violated... maybe he would come over and ambush them with his fireworks next time!! Ha ha ha!