I should re-title my blog "M's sleep blog". I'm sure you're all tired of hearing about my baby's sleep issues! They're getting better, though! And I really shouldn't call them "issues". She's just a baby!
We made some sort of breakthrough today. I got M down for a nap, and she slept for 3 hours! She put herself to sleep in the crib (after a nap wind-down routine and some nursing), and then slept just great. What did I do different? I put a baby blanket in the crib with her. She promptly rolled over onto her side and cuddled it. I found her sucking on it later, in her sleep.
She's now been asleep in her crib tonight for 2 straight hours, without any need for me to run up there and comfort her. PROGRESS!!! I know 2 hours doesn't sound like much at all, but considering how she usually wakes up every 30 minutes or so when she's alone, this is awesome.
But something has me worried (what else is new). I asked my pediatrician today about what she should be sleeping with in her crib, and she said one blanket is okay. It just makes me nervous because M pulls the blanket right up to her face. Is this safe? I figure it's a light blanket, so she should be okay. And it's not like she's going to get that tangled up in it, right? She doesn't need it for warmth, just comfort.
Experiences anyone? Oh, and what do your kids sleep in/with?
Monday, August 18, 2008
Sleep question
Scribbled by Kelly at 11:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 Talk to me!:
Camberlyn has always slept with a blanket and she does the same thing. She cuddles it right up to her face. I just make sure after she is asleep I pull it down a bit.
Kelly, Alex slept in his crib with multiple blankets from the beginning. He was a December birthday, so he definitely needed the warmth. I know there are studies about SIDS and all that with blankets in the crib, but babies know they need to breathe, and they will be okay. Since Alex was around 9 months old, he has had a habit of pulling the blankets around his head to fall asleep. I know it's weird and I freaked out at first, but that's the way he likes it. I think if Meredith is sleeping with one light blanket, that's great. She will comfort herself with it, and while she doesn't need it for warmth now, the time is soon coming when she will.
Congratulations on the sleeping, it's always a great feeling when there is progress!
Brooklyn slept with light blankets (I think two of them) when she was M's age. I'm sure she is fine since would I be wrong to assume you check on her quite frequently? :)
If she can fall asleep by herself, keep letting her. It only gets harder the older they get.
Carter always slept with blankets too, in the beginning I swaddled him, but he would always kick them off. Owen already sleeps with several light blankets. Sometimes they just need a comfort object to snuggle. It sounds like things are getting better though, ya?
Jayden still sleeps with his "snuggles" (blanket) and "hugsy" (bear). I never worried about it (maybe I should have??), but your the mom and know what's best for your baby. Good luck and I'm glad she's sleeping good for you!
Kelly,
Both of my boys love snuggling things. They won't fall asleep with out a stuffed animal or a blanket and they will tickle their faces with one or the other until they can't sleep. Grandmother watched Jones do it when he was younger and immediately commented that it is a King characteristic. Marshall has two blankets and two stuffed animals. We have to put an animal on both sides of his head and then he cuddles right up to them, pulls his blanket up by his face and promptly falls asleep. She will be fine with a blanket.
Post a Comment