Thursday, August 28, 2008

Am I evil?


I did a hard thing today. I took our cat, Sophie, to the Humane Society. It's been a long time coming, and today just seemed like the day to take care of things. I'm just praying she gets adopted.

We got Sophie in 2003 when we built our house. We always wanted a calico, and she was so pretty! She's a long-haired cat, which we wanted as well (should have known better). She's been a sweet pet, for the most part, but she has the following issues: she scratches things, she sheds EVERYWHERE (sooooo much more than our two short haired kitties), she coughs up nasty hairballs on the carpet, and she pees outside of the litter box. Yeah, that's a lot of issues. For some reason, these things didn't bother me that much until M came along. Well, of course the peeing thing bothered me, but it's a fairly new phenomenon, and she doesn't do it in the main part of the house, just the basement area. It's been a rather "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" thing for me because I didn't want to have to deal with her, and I never go in the basement. But it pretty much got to the point where Jeremy and I both agreed she had to go.

So I drove her to the Humane Society this morning and dropped her off. I was scared they'd give me a hard time since I had to fill out 4 pages of paperwork on her, but the guy working there was just trying to make it out of the office in time for lunch, so it was all pretty straightforward. I thought about posting an ad on KSL or asking around, but I didn't want the guilt of giving someone a cat who will pee in their house and scratch their stuff. At least the Humane Society is anonymous.

It sucks. I feel a little evil. I don't think anyone should adopt a pet that they won't keep forever, so I feel guilty about that. But everything changes when you have a baby. It's not like there's a lot of love-loss there, which pains me to say. I liked her, but I didn't love her like I love my other pets. It would break me to have to give up any of the other animals, Apollo especially, even though he breaks $150 strollers!!!! And I can't have a baby crawling around in cat hair and hairballs. Plus, she wasn't really happy here, I don't think. She was afraid of the dog, she hid out all day long, etc. Hopefully someone will find her and give her a better life. And hopefully she won't pee all over THEIR basement.

Good luck, Sophie.

3 Talk to me!:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad, but if it was a good thing, than GOOD!

Mindy said...

We got rid of our lab puppy Scout about 2 months before Carter was born. I cried and cried and cried. She was a great dog, just still in a puppy phase and puppy school wasn't fixing the issues... anyway, I posted her on KSL and the greatest little family adopted her and they still have her. I bet someone will give your Sophie a 2nd chance... hopefully someone who has lots of time and love in their heart. :)

Tia said...

I don't think you're evil. I just sold my chocolate lab, Daisy, whom I've had for 7 years. I bought her before I had kids. Now I have 3, and she was getting NO attention. She has a new home, and a doggie boyfriend who she will have puppies with, and lots of land to run and play on. I think you did the responsible thing!