I think in some ways I'm an atypical pregnant person. With the obvious exception of those early weeks of HORRIBLE morning sickness (a condition I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy), I've had a great, healthy pregnancy. I feel really good. I mean, I feel pregnant, but I feel good. I haven't gained a single pound, which is pretty strange...I'm going to end up weighing about 20-30 lbs less when the baby is born than when I started. My body just really likes being pregnant. It freaks me out sometimes because it makes me worry, but my midwife says I'm fine and the baby is growing fine, so whatever.
Here's why I'm a freak: I WANT to be uncomfortable! Why? Because then I might not be so terrified of giving birth. Granted, I'm probably jumping the gun just a little - I'm 35 weeks, so not quite full term. Who knows what the next 5 weeks could bring. I might have to write a post later and totally eat my words. But so far? No swelling, no heartburn, no pain really. The only things I've really noticed are that I burp a lot (sorry, TMI) and that I move in slow motion because of the bowling ball in my belly. But I'm not hurting or anything!
If I were more uncomfortable, maybe I'd actually be wishing for delivery. Not that I don't want to meet Meredith - I totally do! I'm just scared of the whole birth process. It doesn't really matter how much you educate yourself: no one can prepare you for the unknown. It doesn't matter how many times you remind yourself that women have been safely birthing babies for THOUSANDS of years: when you've never done it yourself, it's scary to think about! As far as I'm concerned, baby Meredith can stay cooking in there as long as she wants. I'm not ready!
I spend a lot of time on babycenter.com in their birth boards. It's fun to read what others are thinking/experiencing who are like me. Most of them are so sick of being pregnant at this point. Me? I sometimes feel like I could stay pregnant forever! Maybe it's a good thing. Statistically, FTMs go about 41 weeks. At least this way I won't be complaining about being overdue...
I've heard many people say that at the end, you are so miserable and sick of being pregnant that you will do anything to get the baby out. Here's hoping for some misery. :)
Monday, March 10, 2008
Terrified....
Scribbled by Kelly at 7:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 Talk to me!:
I was the same way as you. Very sick in the beginning and then it became ok. I stayed working full-time until Friday and gave birth on Wednesday. I could have worked longer, but I had no work to do because I kept thinking Brooklyn would come. However, once I passed her due date, I was ready to meet her and start the next phase. She was only a week late, but I was ready by then. I'm sure you're time will come. Have you started "nesting" yet? If not, it should be coming soon!
I am so jealous. I am only 9 weeks and already done with pregnancy (and I have great pregnancies too!) I'm glad you enjoy pregnancy so much and I can't believe you are only 5 weeks away!!!
Post a Comment