Monday, October 27, 2008

Prop 8 thoughts

Every Sunday in the Deseret News' "Letters to the Editor" section, there is a letter from someone claiming to be LDS who opposes Prop 8. They say things like "Didn't Christ teach us to love all men?" and "Doesn't the church teach equality, not discrimination?", etc. Specifically, they seem to take issue with the fact that Church Headquarters has gotten involved in promoting the cause. These people are missing the point!!!!!!

Prop 8 is about protection, not discrimination. It is not about attacking gays and lesbians. It is about protecting something sacred and God-ordained.

I don't mean to sound holier-than-thou, but when you start to question the motives of the Church, aren't you in fact questioning the prophet, and thus, by default, the will of the Lord? What gives one the right to assume one knows better than those whom God has ordained to lead us through these latter days? Gosh that makes me sound snobby, but it's how I feel!

I went on a rant last night to Jeremy and his dad after reading the newspaper. Kevin kindly reminded me that all of these things are signs of the times. Yes, even the very elect will be led astray.

I'm sure I'm not the only one dreading the outcome(s) of next week's election.

2 Talk to me!:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I have so many of the same thoughts as you. Even though I have family members who have declared their "lifestyle preference" I still feel in complete agreement with the church's stance and it will never waiver. What is the Lord's way?

Tia said...

I agree with you, Kelly. My cousin posted a video on her blog about Prop 8, and how it will affect EVERY SINGLE family. http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1815820715/bctid1822459319
It really scares me how people are so mis-led! I'm also horrified of how this election will turn out. It makes me sick to my stomach.