Pinterest is awesome. Didja know that? :)
Here are some tips and tricks I've seen on Pinterest that I've used and loved:
It doesn't seem to matter how well I tape when I paint: there is always seepage. I think I'm going to skip taping next time. Why bother? I have to go over it with a small brush afterwards anyway. Here is how to get a nice, clean line where ceiling meets textured wall.
Here is how my front room looked before caulking.
Tape about 1/4 inch down on the wall and 1/4 inch into the ceiling.
Run an 18-24 inch long bead of caulk in the space between the tape. Use your finger to flatten and spread the bead as far as it will go. Repeat. You should probably use gloves, but I didn't.
Remove tape immediately (while caulk is still wet) and voila! It's not totally perfect, but it's lots better than it was.
Here's a closeup.
Speaking of caulk, I saw this wonderful tip on Pinterest as well. Instead of buying a rubber pad to put under your rug to grip the floor, simply run lines of caulk on the back of the rug and let it dry. The silicone will grip the floor like a rug pad. I did this to our new IKEA rug in the front room:
Edited to add: this totally didn't work! I'm bummed. When it dried and I flipped the rug over, it slid around as much as ever. Maybe I should have done thicker lines or used different caulk. Oh well. I'm going to end up with a rug pad probably.
Edited to add: this totally didn't work! I'm bummed. When it dried and I flipped the rug over, it slid around as much as ever. Maybe I should have done thicker lines or used different caulk. Oh well. I'm going to end up with a rug pad probably.
Here's a fun tip for organizing your pantry: use an over-the-door shoe organizer for packets, etc. I got this plastic one at WalMart for realy cheap. I love it!


5 Talk to me!:
Good idea on the caulk! I want to get an over the door shoe organizer for the bathroom closet door for all the hair product, blow dryers, flat irons, etc... I wouldn't be digging around for all that stuff in a tote if I could see it. LOVE Pinterest - I'm so impressed that you have actually done some of the great ideas. I've only collected.
Awesome tips. I love the rug idea- I wish I had wood floors to use it on.
I'm glad you're still blogging :)
I've been meaning to get a shoe organizer for my pantry forever. I love how it looks. Maybe you'll inspire me to buy one now. I also love Melissa's idea for the bathroom.
Great tips! I'm glad you're blogging again (still?) Keep it coming! LOVE the picture you have as your header!
I don't know if I should thank you or be mad at you for introducing me to pinterest--I'm addicted! Love the pantry organizer and the new pictures of your girls.
Post a Comment