Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My first tutorial: baby legs!

This is such an easy project, and I love how cute Meredith looks running around in her little leg warmers. I wish I had made some of these earlier in Meredith's life (they are perfect for babies learning to crawl), but oh well. Something I'm starting to learn about myself  is that I have a hard time paying money for things if I know I can make them for less. Commercial Baby Legs sell for like $10 a pair. You can easily make a pair for about $2-$3. Score!

So here's how you do it.

1. Buy a pair of women's (or men's, I suppose) socks. All of the socks I've purchased are knee-high in length, but for smaller babies, I'm sure regular-size women's socks will work. Wal-Mart and Target both have a nice selection of cute, knee-high socks right now. I bought the socks pictured below at Target, in a pack of three (different designs) for $6.99.



2.) Cut off the toe and the heel portions of the socks. You only need the leg part and the foot part. Throw out the heel and toe scraps.



3. Take the foot portion of the sock and turn it in on itself so that wrong sides are facing each other. Line up the raw edges.








4. Now take the leg portion of the sock and put it through the "tube" you've created from the foot portion. Line up all the raw edges (there should be three in total).







5. Now just sew it all together. I used about a 5/8" seam.  After making your seam, zig-zag stitch over the edges to minimize fraying.


This is what it should look like:



7. Now just fold the foot part back down over the seam and voila! You have baby legs!




12 Talk to me!:

Mark and Kattie said...

So impressed and this is such and easy tutorial-great job! (now I just need a girl to make them for)

Courtnie said...

Love Meredith's legs in these! Just wait until she takes dance. . .all these will come in handy and yes, it saves you a load when you can make your own! :)

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

OH my gosh, so darn cute!! You are so crafty.

Val said...

Once again your amazing! I hope one day I have a girl to make all this cute stuff for. Poor Logan only has one homemade project from mom. The possibilities are endless with girls:) So cute!!!

Jess said...

Cool! I'll have to try making some of these.

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute Kelly! You should sell them on Etsy!!!

The Mom said...

Cute! You should try to sell them!

Angie said...

Very cute, Kelly. I just made some comment on Heidi's blog about where she learned to make these and THEN looked at your blog. Duh! Adorable. I think I might have to try these. Does M leave them on? And then do you just wear socks too? Sorry, I'm slow...

Mindy said...

Cute! I need a girl so badly! :)

Anonymous said...

I wondered where she got those adorable sox she had on the video you sent me! Way to go Kelly! You are amazing! I agree with your friends, you should sell them! Does Meredith like wearing them?

Anonymous said...

Excellent tutorial!

Tia said...

Brilliant!!