Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Convenience

I was at the grocery store today, and got to thinking about convenience and the money I am willing to spend for it. Here are some of my convenience items I bought today:

1.) Glass wipes. I hate it when you clean glass and there is lint left on the surface. I know you can use newspaper. I also know you can make your own glass cleaner from vinegar. However, how nice is it to just pull a wipe out of a container, use it, and throw it away?

2.) Gravy in a jar. I've tried making gravy on Thanksgiving from the turkey drippings, but as often happens whenever I have to make a thickening sauce, I failed miserably. It won't taste near as good as the real thing, but at least we'll have gravy on Thanksgiving.

3.) Swiffer pads. Every once in a while, I'll get down on my hands and knees to scrub the floor, but most of the time I just sweep then use my Swiffer WetJet.

4.) Frozen vegetables that steam in the bag. I love these! How convenient is it to just throw a bag in the microwave?

5.) Paper plates, paper cups, plastic silveware. 'Nuff said.

What items do you buy for convenience's sake?

5 Talk to me!:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Baby carrots. I remember the days when my mom would spend time each morning or night cutting up carrots into sticks to put in our lunches. Not anymore. I just buy baby carrots. Another one along those lines, prewashed lettuce in a bag. Although I always wash it again, it's still cored and cut into bite-sized pieces. I do also love wipes. Wipes for dusting, glass, and disinfecting. How easy.
Oh yeah, the new toilet scrubber with detachable scrubber that you just throw away.

Tia said...

I love the frozen veggies too, but even better are the frozen veggies that come with pasta, chicken & sauce, that you can just throw in the microwave for a delicious hot meal. Birds eye makes some yummy ones.

nicole said...

I love the face wash wipes - super expensive in my opinion, but worth it every night when I'm too exhausted to wipe my face.

The Mom said...

I buy the swiffer wipes for dusting because they catch all the dust. Other than that, I really couldn't think of anything. I guess I am too much of a cheapskate!

Janessa said...

Minced garlic. That's probably a pretty basic "convenience" item. I didn't know about it for several years after we got married though and I hated choppping up garlic. I also love to buy the Rhodes frozen rolls. I use it to make rolls, breadsticks and scones to name a few things. Love it!