Friday, September 25, 2009

Quilt #2

I just finished my second quilt. Woo hoo! I think I'll probably always have a quilt in the works because I just love it so much. At least for now. Plus I have a lot of fabric to use up that I bought last year. The only problem is that I desperately need some kind of craft room so that the sewing machine isn't constantly clogging up the kitchen table...

This quilt is made from a bunch of Amy Butler 1/2 yards that I bought from fabric.com. I simply love Amy Butler fabrics! So gorgeous. The backing I bought at JoAnn's (its not Amy Butler, but it works), and the binding I got at Pine Needles. I did the quilting myself on my own machine, this time in curly-q's instead of in a meandering pattern. MUCH easier. The machine quilting definitely gets easier as you practice. This one looks a lot better than my previous one.

My favorite part of quilting? The binding. I love the handstitching part. My least favorite part of quilting? Laying it all out (the quilt sandwich) and basting it. That's a pain. Especially when you have to leave the room and the dog walks all over it while you're gone. Or Meredith spills and entire cup of water right in the center of the backing, which makes it wrinkle up as it dries.

Anyway, here are the pictures, sans editing since I no longer have Photoshop (my trial ran out and I can't afford the real deal). It's killing me. I know, I know. Cry me a river.




The front.




The back.



The stitching




More quilting.

10 Talk to me!:

Tia said...

These quilts are gorgeous! Great job!
And you should get PhotoShop Elements at Costco when it goes on sale again. It was normally $80, and it had a $30 off coupon, so I got it for only $50. How are you living without editing!? ;)

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Wow. That is awesome. I love the fabric as well. So... if I ever get into it you'll have to show me the machine quilting because I just don't grasp the concept. I seem to think the material would bunch up and/or pinch into my machine. Keep it up because one day you won't have the time to devote to it and get them done as quickly.

Anonymous said...

You have so many talents! That is really cool Kelly! Good job!

foreveryoung said...

You amaze me. I seriously can't believe you can do that stitching on your own machine. I wish I knew how to quilt, if only we lived closer...and you need to get photoshop because I need you take our family pictures the next time we're up! I've got (an illegal) photoshop, but I'm totally clueless, how did you learn all the editing secrets?

Angie said...

Such a pretty quilt! You did a great job!!

Mark and Kattie said...

I love it so much! Go cuddle up in it! You are so good at picking out fabrics that coordinate but not too 'matchy'.

Mindy said...

so lovely! I love these fabrics! I wish I had more time to quilt right now. I still have a baby quilt I started for Owen about a year ago that's not finished. You should sell these... in your etsy shop maybe? Or just make me one! :)

Hollie Hanson said...

OK I am so jealous of your quilts! I want to learn to make one. I bought all this fabric to do a rag quilt and never did it. I suck. LOL I love love love your fabric choices!

Janessa said...

Looks fabulous! You are so talented!!! It seems like you do such an amazing job with everything you try - photography, quilting...

Melissa said...

Nothing has made me want to get into quilting more than seeing your gorgeous quilt at the sewing group. You inspired my sister, too, you've got skills!