Thursday, June 11, 2009

DIY - Silhouette


Is it creativity if you're just copying someone else's idea? :)

I "borrowed" this idea from my good friend, Jamie. I would link you to her awesome blog, but it's private. Trust me, she's a gem.

This was so easy. I went to Lowe's, bought a cheap piece of board that was 12 x 36 inches, and had them cut it into 3 12-inch pieces. The total cost for the board was like $5.

Then I went on a wild good chase for some black-and-white patterned paper. Roberts had a lot of papers that I liked, but they had no good black-and-white ones, which frustrated me. They were also out of a LOT of their papers. Grrr. So the next day, I woke up and decided to hit the other craft stores in the area. Luckily, JoAnn's had exactly what I was looking for.

I painted the board black, mod-podged the paper to the board, and glued the white center on. For the silhouette, I went through a ton of recent photos to find one with a good profile shot, which I enlarged and straightened in Photoshop and then printed. I traced it onto black paper and cut it out. I glued this down and then mod-podged over the whole thing.

Unfortunately, every time I work with mod-podge and paper, I end up with bubbles and creases. I think it's probably a result of my being too impatient to let things dry properly. Be patient! That's why I glued the flower on - to cover up some boo-boos.

A very easy and fulfilling project. I think I want to do one of these each year or so for Meredith. Thanks, Jamie, for letting me mooch off of your blog!

11 Talk to me!:

Mark and Kattie said...

That is seriously so cute! I love it and you can totally see that it is Meredith! I also have problems getting bubbles and creases with Mod Podge...let me know if you figure out any tricks! I want to try this, I just am not sure I have a pic that will work!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Kelly! Can you make me some flowers for my hair? White? Love ya!

foreveryoung said...

It turned out so cute!! Thanks for the props, you're too nice ;) I have the same problem with mod podge, but I've learned that the more I mess with it the worse it gets. If I leave it alone then the bubbles usually work themselves out. I was thinking how it would have been cool to do one each year for my kids, but it's a little too late for that. I'm jealous you get to do it with Meredith! I wish I would have done it right the first time and just used a profile shot, it turns out so much better. Anyways, it turned out awesome!

The Mom said...

Cute!

Angie said...

Very cute! How about doing this for your talent group?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, It's mom. I do read your blog! Love the silhouette. Does it have any kind of padding? Where did you hang/put it? You do such a good with your photos. I went through them all today, picked out my favorites, and saved them to my new 16 GB flashdrive. Also put all my classes on the flashdrive. Now, when someone at a class (like happened last night) asks me about Meredith, I can show them more pics!
Send some more photos of Meredith. Chronicle what she is up to so we can feel part of her life. What was her day like today? Love you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely silhouette. Send us more photos. What has Meredith been up to today? You do such a good job. I went through all the photos today, picked out my favorites, loaded them onto my new 16 GB flashdrive. Also have all my classes now on the same device. That way, when someone asks me about Meredith at a class, like they did last night, I can show them more photos. Love you.

Rohm Family said...

she looks a lot like you! So cute- I love your huge pix and you are a great photog!

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Cute. I thought the flower was planned...I couldn't even tell it was to cover up a mistake.

Tia said...

This is such a cute idea! I can totally tell it's her. Great job!

Janessa said...

Love it! After seeing Jamie's I fell in love with the idea. Seeing another sucess story makes me REALLY want to do it now. Once we get moved and somewhat settled this baby is on the top of my to-do-for-fun list.