Monday, June 22, 2009

An accomplishment

Today I finished my first "real" quilt top! Here are some pics:








This was a really easy first quilting project. The pattern is called "Pieces of 8" because it is composed of big 8" squares. I just love this fabric. It's from a line called City Girl by Kitty Yoshida. I actually bought the quilt kit online sometime last year, and I worked on it here and there, but never finished. I finally caught the quilting bug again, and voila! (Thank you Kattie, for re-inspiring me!) The hardest part was figuring out the layout of the squares once I had them all cut as it is a random pattern and you don't want any of the same fabrics touching each other. I didn't get it exactly right, but it's good enough for a first timer.

Now I just have to wait for the backing to arrive. I ordered a matching fabric from a seller on Etsy since I couldn't find any fabric at any stores around here that would go with this quilt. Thank goodness for the internet. Once the backing gets here, I'll be able to quilt this sucker. I plan to just line quilt it on my own machine using my walking foot. I've never done this before, so wish me luck. I'm so excited to finish it completely so I can start on my next one!

8 Talk to me!:

Mark and Kattie said...

It turned out great! I love the colors.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

That material is gorgeous. Way to go. You'll have to let me know how the machine quilting goes.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Ah, the quilting bug. It's been a while since I've quilted something...and I think now you've inspired me to go find something to work on. Your top is so cute. Good luck finishing it when the backing comes. You'll have to post more pictures.

Angie said...

Very cute! Great accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful Kelly! Such great fabric. What size is it? What will you use it for? What is your next project? Quilting is great. Keep up the good work.

Val said...

You are so talented! What can't you do. Thanks for your sweet words about Rocky!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!! When are you going to make me some cool stuff? Can you make my kids some cool stuff too?

Janessa said...

Wow, that looks great! I love the fabric. You'll have to post a picture of the finished product when it's all done. Oh, I love the video clip of M! It was so cute the way she would stand up and try to walk then plop right back down. She definitely gets points for persistance.