Thursday, September 27, 2007

First appointment

Today was our first appointment with the CNM (certified nurse midwife). It went AWESOME! I was so nervous to meet her because I really, really, really wanted to like her, and I do! She is great! Her name is Julie Jones. Everyone in her office is very nice as well. There was a nice "spirit" about the whole place, as if they all just live and breathe pregnant moms and babies. Which is exactly what I was looking for! She asked me why I decided to go with a midwife. I have many reasons. Mostly, I wanted to find someone who believes that birth is not a medical emergency (as seems to be the view in obstetrics in general), but instead a normal and natural process. I don't know much because I've never done this before, but from what I have learned, midwifes offer more personalized attention. She talked to us for a long time, and I could tell she would have talked as long as we wanted to. How refreshing!

Of course, the best part of the whole visit was hearing the baby's heart beat. I was nervous about that because I've heard that it sometimes is hard to hear at 11 weeks, and she told me my uterus was tipped back, but we heard it! I can't even explain how it made me feel. I just couldn't stop smiling! There's a real baby in there! I know that sounds funny, but when you're as tired and sick as I've been, it's easy to forget there's a "reason" behind it all. Now I know. I'm so excited!!!

2 Talk to me!:

foreveryoung said...

What are you talking about? Your blog is definately not "puny and boring!" You've always been a great writer. You're going to be so glad that you have all of these events documented and you're also going to love not having to email every person individually with any news, you can just post it on the blog. Trust me, you're going to like this :) Just so you know, you can go to blurb.com and they'll make a nice book out of your blog so that you can have it for a journal. Anyways, on to more exciting topics like the baby! I'm so excited for you guys, and I hope you feel better soon! I'm so glad the first appointment went well and that you love your mid wife, that makes everything so much better! Good luck and I'm excited to read all about your life!

Janessa said...

Hey Kelly! I'm so glad you've given into the blog craze. Congrats on the pregnancy. Jamie's right, you are such a great writer. I was very entertained reading through your posts. I'm glad that your appointment went well but sorry to hear that you're so sick. When that baby's born and you hold him or her (are you going to find out what you're having?) it makes every puke more then worth it. I'll be checking your post regularly gor updates, so keep them coming. I don't remember if I've invited you to my blog before, so I just sent you another invite just in case.