My parents were in town at the end of September for about 2 weeks, and we had some fun adventures! Meredith adores her "Mimi" and her "Papa", or "MimiPapa". We wish we all could live closer together.
My grandparents used to own this gorgeous cabin up in the Timberlakes (past Heber). They sold it a few years ago to a friend. My mom contacted that friend and got permission for them to stay at the cabin for several days, so we went up to visit one Saturday afternoon. It's heaven up there! Same cabin as we were used to, just different furnishings. Meredith went fishing with Papa, we had a yummy dinner, played games, and watched a movie, all while enjoying the mountain air and the whispering of the trees.
Mimi and Claire
Miss M
Miss C
PaPa on the grill.
In addition to spending a lot of time at GiGi's (my grandmother) house in Provo, I took the girls downtown one day to meet Mom and Dad and bum around. We walked around Temple Square, ate lunch at Blue Lemon (yum), and toured the Conference Center. Then we went out to dinner with GGPop (my Dad's dad).
(This is now my most favorite painting ever. It hangs in the Conference Center and is called "Mercy Claimeth That Which Is Her Own". It's message is powerful.)
On the 30th, we went to the BYU/USU game at Lavell Edwards Stadium. It was a bit of a challenge with Claire, but when the game got good in like the 4th quarter, it was totally worth it. I'm so glad we won! I tried to take a sneaky way home, but I must have not been the only one thinking that way because right when I got to my secret road to the freeway entrance, I got stuck in traffic for like 45 minutes. Yuck. Still, the game was AWESOME! Jeremy had to go back to work after the game, so I was on my own putting two cranky girls to bed at midnight. THAT was fun....
The long hike to the stadium.
Auntie Katie and Claire
Meredith and my cousin, Zach. She looooves Zach!
On Conference Sunday, my parents came up, as did Katie and Adam. My Grandfather King (GGPop) came as well. Poor guy didn't get my mom's message with our address and tried to get to our house from memory. He called me from near the skating oval and I gave him directions, but he got lost again. We called his cell and told him to just park and we'd come find him. We found him up by the Usana Ampitheater in a neighborhood. I hopped in the car with him and directed him back to our house. It was pretty comical, but he felt bad for being late.
During dinner, Grandfather regaled us with stories from his past, as per usual. They are almost always funny and/or fascinating. He told us about his black lab he had as a small boy, and we all died when he told us they'd named him "Nigger". The man is an original. Later, he recounted his conversion story for us. If/When I get ahold of a written copy, I will post it because it is so amazing. I'm so grateful that he and my Grandmother joined the Church, even against some heavy opposition.
It was a fun few weeks with family. Its hard living across the country, but it does make their visits that much more exciting.
Making pie with Papa. My dad is a master pie-maker.









6 Talk to me!:
:) Loved re-living some of the moments! I love the pictures!
You've been busy with your blogging! It's been fun to catch up on all of your pics. I love the Meredith-isms. So funny!
So glad you had a wonderful time together! Looks like you kept very busy!
That sounds like lots of fun!
Isn't it great to spend time with family members that live far away. That is so nice you had a cabin to visit, I'm sure it was gorgeous up there. You've been busy lately and I loved to see all the pictures of your adventures!
I love the picture of M looking up at the Conference Center ceiling! You are a very talented photographer. Also, I urge you to take that fancy dancy phone of yours and get a recording of you Grandfather's conversion story and put it in writing for your family. Don't let that precious story die with him. Your posterity needs it. I'm off my soapbox now. Glad you had memorable time with your family.
Post a Comment