Thursday, March 4, 2010

Odds and ends

Randomness for randomness' sake.....

1.) Want to know something embarassing about me? I find myself liking Miley Cyrus. Granted, I only know two of her songs ("The Climb" and "Party in the USA"), and it's not like I would ever buy these tunes, but I get a little giddy when they come on the radio. Darn those catchy teenie-bopper melodies!!!

2.) A guy I dated while at BYU was recently in a very bad motorcycle accident. At the point of my writing this, he has a 50/50 chance of survival. I'm pretty far removed from the situation, obviously, and only know about it via Facebook, but it has shaken me up. He's engaged to be married on May 1st. So sad and so scary. He and his fiancee and family need lots of prayers. And PLEASE, if you're going to ride a motorcycle, wear a helmet (he was not).

3.) Does it seem to anyone else that Facebook and maybe even blogging are sort of, well, dying? I see less and less posts on FB, and less and less blogging going on, myself included. Maybe it's just the winter blahs.

4.) I loved the Olympics! Here's my run-down: Apolo Ohno is cute, but a little cocky. Shaun White has ridiculously gorgeous hair, and his talent makes him a freak of nature; I love watching short track speed skating because it is INSANE!!!!; Evgeni Plushenko is a jerk (apparently he awarded himself the "Platinum" medal on his website); the "sliding" sports are a little boring to watch, but woo-hoo to the Americans!; Mary Carillo (the late night host who did occasional segments on prime time) is charming; Joannie Rochette is my hero; I don't really get ice dancing, but it's still fun to watch - that American girl, Meryl Davis, looks like one of those thingies on Avatar;



5.) A few months ago, I bought this talking birthday Elmo doll for Meredith and have been keeping it on the top shelf of the front coat closet waiting for her 2nd birthday (which is less than 2 months away! AHHHH!). Anyway, one day Meredith was napping and I was in the front room when all of a sudden, out of NOWHERE, Elmo started singing his little birthday song. The coat closet door was open, which was why I heard it. Freaked me out! Nothing had set it off, it just started singing! And then it wouldn't stop! I couldn't get it to shut up, so I threw it out in the backyard. For all I know, Apollo has eaten it. I'm not a fan of freaky little electronic dolls. Remember those Furbie-thingies? Those were WEIRD.

Until next time....

7 Talk to me!:

Anonymous said...

HAHA. That is hilarious about Elmo. I agree...that skater girl looks like the character in Avatar.

Courtnie said...

That avatar comparison had me laughing out loud. Hilarious Kelly!

The Mom said...

I have never understood how it can be the law that I have to wear a seat belt in a car, but motorcycle riders don't have to wear a helmet. Just doesn't seem right!

Angie said...

Love the Avatar comparison. And I'm still laughing that you threw Elmo outside and don't know where he is!

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Haha the Elmo story reminded me of when we were first married. Everyday for about a week when we went to check the mail we could hear muffled music coming from one of the mail boxes next to ours. Apparently someone had sent a musical card that was going off over and over again for a week. Who knew the battery in those things lasted so long? They must have been out of town, and who knows how it was even able to go off since the card has to be opened.

Tia said...

Wow, I always looked at Meryl Davis thinking she's just kinda wierd looking, and that sums it up pretty well!
You're so funny!

Phil and Ronnie said...

I agree with the blogging/facebook comment. Maybe it is winter? Maybe the craze has died? I struggle with updating the blog becuase I tend to post similar things on Facebook- and most of my facebook friends are also my blogging friends. Who knows? I like your idea of using it as a journal- I know you can even get your blog printed!
HAH... My daughter got an Elmo doll for her birthday- I traded it for Cookie Monster and after hearing him giggle for the four millionth time, I hid it in the top of her closet. Wacky talking toys!