Sunday, May 18, 2008

Breastfeeding

I could start a blog all about breastfeeding, I swear.

A confession: I used to be a snob when it came to breastfeeding. This was before I had a child and before I had any experience, mind you, which shows what an idiot I was to have opinions about things about which I knew nothing. I would always wonder about moms who didn't breastfeed, and their excuses bugged me. Well, I will never look down on a non-breastfeeder again! I'm sorry!

Breastfeeding is hard. It is getting so much easier, which is why I can now take a step back and write about it. But it's been a journey, let me tell you. If it isn't/wasn't one thing going wrong, it is/was another. First Meredith would only latch on one side in the hospital. Then she wouldn't really latch at all. Then she had to use a nipple shield. Then I had to rent a hospital grade pump to ensure my supply. Then she had to use a supplemental nursing system. Then she finally learned to latch, but her latch was tight. Then my nipples were soooo sore. Then she started getting fussy at the breast. Then she has periods of time where all she wants to do is snack... like every hour. And so it goes....

She has had some pretty perfect nursing sessions lately, though, and this makes me soooo happy. I'm still sore, but not terribly, and her latch is improving slowly but surely. Yesterday, we finally went and bought me a nice recliner/rocker to nurse in. I love it! Now I don't have to come all the way downstairs in the middle of the night to nurse (nursing in bed just wasn't working - I couldn't get comfortable). This oversize chair is beautiful! And I can sleep in it!

My advice to anyone who wants it: stick it out, but get lots of help along the way! I had a live in lactaction consultant for three weeks in my mom, and I still had to go back to the hospital to meet with their LC for help, twice! I'm so glad I've made it almost five weeks, despite all the problems. It has been a real lesson in perserverance. Those things that are worth doing are sometimes just hard. I'll tell you what, though, every time I see a bottle these days, I get a bit envious. It would be so easy to just have a bottle at the ready. But I'm past the point of quitting now, thank goodness! Still... I will never ever judge a mom again!

3 Talk to me!:

Angie said...

Congrats on making it through! It is a lot of work and will continue to be so. Like you said, if it's not one thing, it's another. Keep it up!

Mindy said...

I was the same way until I had my own struggles as well. It is harder than anyone really tells you (I envied those who had no struggles!) What it comes down to is you do your best for your baby, and that has to be enough. Good job, and good luck. :)

foreveryoung said...

You have the best pictures of her, she is so precious. I had to reread your last post when you said that she's a month old, there's no way! I can't believe she's growing up so fast! I'm glad the breastfeeding is going so much better now.