Sunday, November 11, 2007

Frugality

So I'm not working that much anymore - I'm lucky if I work 20 hours a week! My aunt, who I work for, has been a saint in letting me kind of work when I want to/when I can. I'm feeling good now, so I could pick up my hours, but I'm loving this part-time thing and I think it is good practice so we get used to living on one income, slowly but surely. I'm not going to work at all when the baby comes. (Yes!!!!)

Which means we're having to watch our pennies more now than we ever have, which also means I need to learn to be frugal. I have always admired frugal people, people who know how to stretch a dollar. I don't, I'm sad to admit. I hate paying full price for stuff as much as anyone... but I don't have the skills! I need advice. I just ordered the Sunday paper so that we can get the coupons. There's this guy who works for the SL Trib who tracks coupons and stores and tells you where to shop each week. I want to try that. I guess that means I'll have to become a menu planner, too!

Plus I need to start stocking up on baby stuff, like diapers and wipes. I was reading in another blog about whether Huggies or Pampers are best. Everyone seemed to say Huggies. Which is in your opinion, and where is the best place to buy them? There is NO WAY I'm ever doing cloth diapers. Sorry environment. I just can't!

3 Talk to me!:

Jessica said...

Hey Kelly! I can't wait for the 19th!!! It's coming soon. As for the diapers issue . . . I'm a huggies user now but when Easton was a newborn Pampers Swadlers were the only diapers that he didn't wet through and leak out of all over the place. I wish my sister in law had told me about them sooner. :) Definitely buying in bulk at Costco or Sams is cheaper than buying at the grocery store. There's even a website www.diapers.com that I hear is a pretty good deal in bulk. ???

Janessa said...

Thrifty is my middle name. Having four kids and a hubby in a PhD program can make anyone thrifty. I keep telling myself that I'm learning good skills that I'll be gratful for someday when...we have plenty of money??? I just have one word for you Wal-Mart (does that count as two words?) Especially if you do price match stuff (Jamie's the pro on that one). New borns tend to leak through diapers more, so I buy the more expensive kind for a few months. After that, I just use a Wal-Mart brand, White Cloud. They work great and are a bit cheaper. If you can find a good consignement store, that's a cheap way to get cute clothes. Good luck!

foreveryoung said...

Yes, use the more expensive brands when they're little and more sensitive to diaper rashes, but after about 4-6 months just buy the generic brand at Costco or Sams. I've heard about those coupon things, I've heard they work but they just take a lot of time. I think you'll be fine just clipping the regular coupons and price matching is definately the way to go! And yes, check out consignment stores, they have great deals on cribs, strollers, car seats, etc. Good luck!