Now that we are pretty settled in, I know I have no excuse but to catch up on blogging.
We moved out of our home in Kearns over Conference weekend. Many thanks to the wonderful men who came and helped us disassemble stuff and load the PODS. We still hadn't closed on the new house because rural housing loans take for-freaking-ever, so we filled two PODS and packed for what we thought would only be about a week of displacement. If only we knew....
We initially stayed in an extended-stay hotel in American Fork. We paid for a week, and I was so happy when that week was over because those were the most uncomfortable beds ever! Also, the "clientele" at that place made me pretty uncomfortable. When it became clear that we were going to be homeless for a little while longer, we got on hotwire.com and found a nice deal on the Best Western Cottontree Inn in Provo. It was a very nice hotel, and we loved the pool, but we ended up being there for far too long. All in all, we spent 17 days living in the two hotels. It was nuts!
Our wonderful new ward helped us move all our stuff in on April 17th. I'm so grateful for people and their willingness to help. We were unloaded in no time.
The last weeks have just been filled with unpacking, organizing, and decorating. I've learned to hang curtain rods by myself, even in our front room with it's 10-foot-ish ceilings. I have to say that I have loved having a clean decorating slate to work with - it's been so much fun for me. Really grateful for Pinterest at houzz.com, though I need to learn to spend more time implementing ideas rather than looking for them.
We both had callings in the ward within the first few weeks. I've been called as the Primary Pianist, and Jeremy is a Primary teacher. Our ward doesn't have many pianists, which is rare for the Church, IMO, so I'm happy to help out. I also like being in Primary and not having the responsibility of being the secretary (my previous calling). :)
I love pretty much everything about our new place, but here are the things I especially like:
The space!
My kitchen, especially the gas stove
The mudroom- although it isn't being used yet, I love the idea of it.
Bay window in the bedroom
No TV in main area- there was nowhere to put our TV, so it's in our bedroom. I love it because it's hardly ever on!
On the other end of the spectrum:
No yard
Spiders - too many
Dust - so dusty and windy out here
Further away from stuff (WalMart and Smiths are 5 minutes away, but everything else is in American Fork.
More space = more space for kids to fill up with messes
The pics: they're coming, I promise!
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
New home
Scribbled by Kelly at 3:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 Talk to me!:
Yay!!! Thanks for the update, I've been thinking about you! I can't believe you ended up in a hotel for 17 days, that's crazy. Glad you survived and glad it was all worth it. I can't wait to see pictures! (and I do not miss that wind!)
Post a Comment