Sunday, September 26, 2010

Potpourri

Just some random schtuff.....

1. I have developed a love/hate relationship with Facebook. It definitely has its pros and cons.
What I love:

  • I love that FB keeps me connected with those I care about. I love that when I go to church and see my fellow ward members, I feel a connection to them. It's easy to talk to them, even the ones I don't know that well, because I have a sense of what is going on in their lives. And they know me. The same with family, both immediate and extended.
  • Along those lines, I love that it is a way to not feel "alone" during the day when I'm home with Meredith. I know there is someone just a FB click away. It's my virtual social circle.
What I don't love:
  • Sometimes I feel dumb for the stuff I post. I mean, really. Who cares about some of the things we (I) write about? Why do I feel compelled to tell the world (well, my world) about that one food I ate at that one restaurant? Does anyone really need to know that I'm frustrated about something?
  • It's impossible to tell a person's tone from a status. You may not know what they really mean, or in what manner you are supposed to take it.
  • You're obligated to be "friends" with some people, even though you may not want to be.
  • FB can induce hormonal meltdowns. I've thrown a fit over something someone has said on FB more than once, last week being the worst. Don't try to go figure out what happened - I deleted everything, so unless you were reading it real-time, it's gone. It goes along with my previous point. I was trying to show a little humor about something, but it got taken way out of context, and a full on debate ensued between two members of my "friends" list (neither of whom read my blog). Ugh. That was a bad night.
  • I think sometimes we aren't careful enough to not post things that would hurt other people, intentionally or non-intentionally, myself included. I've had to fight the urge to spout off on Facebook, to be glad I didn't  at a later point when I had cooled down. I know I've said things I shouldn't have. We all need to be mindful of our audience. I don't think FB should be used as a sounding board if one's opinions have the potential to hurt another. If I've done that, I'm sorry. I think blogs are a little different - not that we should ever try to hurt our fellow men, but opinions are safer expressed on a blog than on FB, which is so public.


2. Thanks to the recommendation of a friend in the ward, I have discovered the joy that is Lark Rise to Candleford on PBS. You should check it out (if you're a girl). It's a nice story, and it is very well done and very well acted.

3. We find out on Wednesday whether Lundy baby #2 is a boy or a girl. I'm so excited! We originally were NOT going to find out (Jeremy's wish), but he came around. Thank goodness! I'm so excited to plan.

7 Talk to me!:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

Totally agree about FB. I've become more of just a lurker and a commenter instead of a FB status updater. Usually I just don't know what to say. Sometimes I'll post, but then again, I don't know that anyone cares if I didn't get sleep or what I read etc.
I watched Lark Rise to Candleford last week and I really enjoyed it. I'll see if I can keep staying up that late on Sunday evenings.
I'm excited for you to find out. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Wednesday...I know I'll tear up. I'm excited!!!! You better call me ASAP when you know.

About FB-so true. I am sorry that had to happen to you. You don't deserve that crap.

Mark and Kattie said...

I am so excited to find out what baby number 2 is, yeah!

Jessica said...

I agree about FB. I am grateful for the contact. But, it can be a time waster and brings up debates and feelings about things that should have been left alone.

I'm excited to hear about your baby. I'm really happy that we'll have a kid close in age.

Angie said...

I had no idea Jeremy didn't want to find out. Wow, that would have been hard so I'm so glad he came around. I can't wait to hear the news.
I agree about FB. I haven't been status updating, but I've noticed no one else has either so how am I supposed to keep in contact with people in my virtual world if no one is sharing?! :)

Tia said...

Well, make sure you do post on FB whether it's a boy or a girl!!!
And I agree with you on all these aspects.
But when people post dumb stuff, like what food they ate, or what they're frustrated about, I do care! (Unless they're always whining and complaining, then I hide them!)

Melissa said...

I absolutely agree about facebook. It used to be that I could find out how everyone is doing, but more and more of us are being cautious. I'll admit to having issues when I hear fb friends mentioning how far they are on Christmas shopping. Jealousy is an evil green monster :)
But, sometimes it's great. I can't decide one way or another.