Monday, August 9, 2010

Some explanations



1. If you ever see my child running around looking like a ragamuffin with messy hair, there is a reason. She hates to have her hair messed with. She doesn't just cry when I do her hair - she screams! And she pulls forward or rears back, and it becomes a battle. Every once in a while she'll hold still for me, but most of the time, she rebels big time. Also, I cut her bangs many months ago, and am trying to grow them out. Also, I have bad luck with hair accessories. Yesterday, one of her rubber bands popped at church, so she had a lopsided do. Oh well. We think she's cute anyway. I'll keep working with her. Detangling spray seems to work well.

2. If you ever see our lawn looking long, it's probably because Jeremy has been crazy busy with work, and I don't mow. It's his job. :)

3. My good friend Julianne asked me the other day why I chose to go with a midwife. An excellent question that carries with it a HUGE disclaimer: Choosing a midwife was the right choice for me, but I respect every person's choice in medical providers for pregnancy. I have nothing against OB's. The key is to choose a provider with whom you are comfortable and who you trust and with whom you have a connection.

ANYWAY...

My midwife's name is Julie Jones. She is a CNM (certified nurse midwife), which means she has training as an RN and then additional midwifery training. You can see her profile here.
Going to Julie's office is exactly like going to an OB's office. She has a nice new office space over by the new Riverton Hospital, and she partners with one other midwife and a nurse practitioner named Mandy, who is also awesome. They take care of all kinds of gynecological issues in that office, not just pregnancies. Julie can prescribe medications. As far as I know, she just delivers at the hospital and doesn't do homebirths. She looks like any other medical professional in scrubs (no tie-dyed hippie clothes and birkenstocks).

Julie doesn't push natural childbirth, but instead supports whatever you decide to do along those lines. I had an excellent epidural birth with Meredith, and Julie was there the majority of the time. In fact, she came in late the night I was induced and gave me a massage. I think a CNM focuses on more personalized care. My office visits with her aren't long, but they are definitely not short. She answers as many questions as you have, and becomes a really good friend. She would take as much time with me as I needed her to. I think the main difference between and OB and a CNM is that an OB might take a more medical approach to childbirth, while a CNM is more natural all around, but going to a midwife does NOT mean you can't have an epidural. Here is a pretty good sum up. Should a C-section become necessary, she would scrub in as the first assist.

Again, this was the right choice for me. I think the term "midwife" conjurs up some weird images sometimes. Trust me, Julie is golden. I'm so lucky to have found her.

5 Talk to me!:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I'm glad you have a great Midwife. If I had ever had bad experiences with OB's I definitely would look into a midwife.
Don't worry about your lawn. Ours is long right now too, because Frank is busy. I don't mind mowing, I actually like it, but I need to find the time as well.
Meredith is adorable no matter what style her hair is in. I think doing little girls hair will get easier as they get older. Camberlyn started to rebel against ponytails, which is one reason I cut it short.

Angie said...

My lawn is long too and it's because Marty is busy and because our lawn mower broke so we have to ask neighbors to borrow it before we mow! :)
I'm really considering a CNM next time around. I'm interested in seeing the differences. I didn't realize she moved offices. Does that mean you will deliver at the Riverton Hospital?

Anonymous said...

I love that pictures of M! So precious! I agree...Julie is awesome and so is Mandy. They are great!

Jessica said...

Girl hair is cute when it's done and sometimes impossible to do. We love Meredith no matter what her hair looks like.

The nurse midwife sounds like a good option. I lucked out with my OB and where I have to have C-sections I can't really change. I do have friends that believe in home births though. That scares me.

Melissa said...

I've heard wonderful things about midwives. I am all about gentler, more hands on ways to do things. For some reason I never even looked into it - I had complications with both of my deliveries, so I'm glad I had a great OB. But it would've been great to have a compassionate person there just for me. Husbands love and support us, but they're probably more afraid and freaked out than we can imagine. I would LOVE to be a midwife.